Thursday, January 31, 2013

Thomas's Blog

My name is Thomas Berry. I am from a small town called Charlton Massachusetts. There is not much in the town but a little dunkin donuts and a Mc Donnalds. Since the town is so small, everyone knows everyone. People make fun of the town because there are more cows than people. There is not a whole lot that goes on in the town, but a road race once in a while for cancer. There is a ton of history in Charlton though. Grizzly Adams in buried in the town. Also the founder of anesthesia WIlliam Morton lived in the town. his house still stands today and is a memorial. Also the riders tavern is in the town to that has an tremendous amount of history behind it. I was supposed to go to Shepard Hill High School right down the street from Nichols, but my mom thought it would better for me to go to Saint Peter Marian High School. This was kinda tuff for me because I went through all of the lower grades with people from Charlton and all of my friend went to Shepard Hill. I had to remake all new friends and that was tuff for me to do.




One thing that I like to do when I am not hanging out with my friends it to work. I work almost every chance that I get when I am home. mostly i work in the summer with my dad's friend. Even though its working mostly outside I love doing construction. My job is to make sure that large building don't leak when it rains. The most recent job that i did was at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston MA. The Building was leaking and they had to move many patients out because they were getting wet. Doing this made me feel like i was making a little difference in their lives. 




I am a Freshman here at Nichols College and I like it a ton. I have meet many new friends and every day is an learning experience for me. Currently Finance is my major, but we all know how quickly that can change on us. I am currently living on campus now but possibly next year i am going to commute because I live so close. All of the people and professors are great and really want you to succeed. 



My hobbies consist of one thing and one thing only.....Cars. I love everything about cars and the one i have. Currently I have three cars in my collection and I love every one. I do everything to these things from wash ad wax to completely restoring them. The only thing i don't like about them is that its a very expensive hobby. My friends and I are always thinking what to do next with them. We are always changing something on them. I love going to cars shows. Everyone I see I tend to go to because I bring one of my Cars.


In this class I hope to lean many new things. I am really new to blogging and using the computer in general. I hope to lean to use Microsoft Excel and all of the programs a lot better. Also i would like to lean the tricks to powerpoint. I want to make the slides come up and do different things like watch the words bounce around when the come on the screen.



 A blog that really interests me would be the one about Chris Kreider. Chris is a young kid that just got drafted to the New York Rangers second round over all from Boston College. He was one of the top scorers when he attended Boston College. Now only two games into his NHL career he is getting threatened that he will lose his contract and go down to the AHL. This was a great upset for him and he is trying to get himself back on track.  While Playing for the AHL during the NHL lockout he put up some serious numbers. Because of his performance there the head coach is wondering to send him back down. But if he gets sent down that means he will go from making 800,000 dollars to 40,000 a year. Chris says "if i get moved down i will need to get another job." This is a credible blog because it is from the New York Times.











2 comments:

  1. Thomas,

    From Charlton, Massachusetts? I have a lot of family that lives there, but they all went to Shepherd Hill and graduated in 2005, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, and one of my cousins is a junior this year, and my other is a freshman this year. That’s great that you went to Saint Peter Marian, I know a couple people that attended that school. I actually live in Auburn, which is about 20 minutes from you. What made you go into a career of business as opposed to construction or engineer? Although, one day you could actually own a construction company, or you could own a car shop. It is great to hear that you like it here at Nichols College, and it’s great that, although you live probably 10 minutes from campus, you still live on campus. Collecting cars is a very expensive hobby, I have one and can barely afford it, and it’s great that you have a passion for cars, it’s very unique. That would stink for the Boston College grad, Chris Kreider, to go back down to the AHL. Although I’m not a fan of ANY New York teams, Kreider is a BC grad, so I guess it’s alright to cheer for him.

    Great blog, very interesting, good luck this semester,
    Sean Hoey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tom, I know I said this earlier but, I really want your truck! I know what you mean when you say there is more cows than people my town is the same way. There isn’t a lot of history but we do have Mass MOCA (Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art) and it was an old mill town. I’m sorry you couldn’t go to the high school of your choice; I was in the same boat. Everyone I want to school with was going to the stander high school and I ended up going to a vocational technical school, it was my mom’s idea because she went their. That’s awesome that you do construction! I have my carpenters’ license and my osha card, so on occasion I’ll do either construction or cabinet making. The Dana-Farber Cancer Institute seems like a very rewarding job! Finance is a great are to get into. My friend is actually a commuter he’s a senior and he lives in Charlton, it’s not a too bad of a drive. I like cars too, I just don’t know much about them I like trucks and Mazda’s mostly. The blog you chosen seams very interesting, I like watching hockey I just don’t know much about the players, but it is an intense sport

    ReplyDelete