Thursday, January 31, 2013

student




My names Candace and I am from Sterling Massachusetts. It's a one red light town, where everyone knows everybody. It is filled with family owned businesses,farms, and a couple  convenience stores. Luckily we have a Dunkin Donuts, if we didn't we would have to drive twenty minutes to get a coffee every morning. The only exciting event that goes on in Sterling is the Sterling Fair. It is hosted at the Sterling airport. No, it isn't like Logan airport in Boston. It is very tiny and quaint, and only has about two airplane hangers, and an old creepy building that supposedly serves ice cream. At the fair there are rides, and when it is all set up it looks like it's straight out of a movie. Although there are rides, the thing that brings in most of the town's folk is the tractor pulls, and all the animals. Sterling is also the home to Davis Farm Land and Mary, from Mary Had a Little Lamb. We also have what seems to be the best ice cream in Massachusetts at Rota Springs.Even though the town is very small I wouldn't of wanted to grow up anywhere else. I have the best of memories over every square foot of Sterling, and I love the fact that i can call it "home." 
Thank God for Dunkin's

Sterling Airport
Although it's a small town, I have the best of friends there. They are what made me who I am and I am truly thankful to have such a great group of people in my life. We may have done many stupid things together and made many mistakes but that what makes us close; we lived and we learned together. Whether it was racing down dangerous winding back roads, having uncontrollable bonfires in the gravel pit, or messing around on anything that had wheels, we had fun. Always have and always will. After all, you have to make your own fun when you live in a place like Sterling.



Not only do I go to school full time, but I work about 30 hours, Monday-Friday. I work at Sterling Nursery School with ages that range from 18 months all the way up to about 11. I am a certified preschool teacher, but am only an assistant there. It's fun working at Sterling Nursery School not only because of the children, but it is a family owned business, and I know the family pretty well, and I also went there when I was a little kid. It's a great opportunity to go back to where you started and see what has changed and whats stayed the same. The people I work with are amazing, and it's funny because some were teaching when I went there. Surprisingly, they remember every face that walks through that door and can put a name to all who have attended Sterling Nursery in the time that they have been there. Working there also helps me with my major, which is psychology. I want to go into behavioral psych and working with children you see many different behaviors, trust me.



 Cheering used to be a huge part of my. I started cheering at a very young age. I was about 5 when i started. Like almost every other cheerleader, I started out in Pop Warner and then realized that cheering for a football team just wasn't my thing. I was more into competitions. Because of this, at the age of 9 I moved on to competitive cheer leading. It goes all year round, and you don't cheer for a team. You represent a gym and there are a bunch of different levels and age groups.( It is far more difficult than regular cheering, and I really hope no one got offended when I said that I didn't cheer for Nichols because I don't consider that real cheering.) As time went on, I went from one gym to another trying to find one where my competitiveness was shared by everyone. Everywhere I went I always had special connections with my coaches, and always won awards like "coaches award" or captain. I spent a couple years of double rostering (being on two different teams, at the same gym, at once) and then decided it was to much. And when I decided that, that is when I switched gyms for a forth time and I found what I liked to call home at Pro Athletics (Leominster). It was a brand new gym with unstoppable teams and coaches. I had my best cheering experiences with them and fell in love with every team I worked with. I cheered until I injured my back. After my injury it just became to much and had to stop my cheering career in my senior year of high school.









A blog that I would be interested in is The life of an all star cheerleader. Even though I may not cheer anymore I can still relate to it because I went through every single thing on Jess's blog.


While taking this course I hope to learn more about the computer in general. Honestly, I don't really like technology and I especially struggle with computers.


1 comment:

  1. Candace,
    I am shocked to find out how little Sterling really is, I thought my town was small! Its cool how Sterling is the home to so many things that are household names. It's also so awesome that you have so many close friends that love to have fun. I also love that you guys are wild it seems, it seems like you guys always live your days like it'll be your last. I love that you are a working girl now, even though I don't understand how you can work with babies, because I could NEVER! But just think- if you ever want to have kids, you'll be so experienced that motherhood for you will be a breeze. I find it awesome how you've been cheering since you were so young. It is nice that you had special connections with your coaches in and throughout multiple gyms. It's crazy how competitive cheering can really be! And I'm so sorry about your back injury, that sucks!
    I loved your blog. It was easy to read and I was able to learn a lot about you that I didn't know previously.
    See you in class,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete