Thursday, March 28, 2013

How Us College Kids Can Save Money

Being in college, we all know how important it is to spend our money 'wisely'. Maybe you came to college with a few bucks saved from a summer job, but now, you're running out of money and mommy and daddy don't want to give money just because you're their kid. I'm going to give you some easy tips on how you can save money, especially heading into a new school year in September.

Don't buy fast food: You have a meal plan at school for a reason, and we're lucky enough we have bison bucks for Jimmy's, Yummy's, etc. I know when you're driving by mcdonalds of kfc, it's tempting to go and buy a mcdouble or a bucket of chicken, but that quickly adds up and you'll notice it when you've gained 20 lbs. and your bank statements read 'McDonalds' and 'Kentucky Fried Chicken'.

Buy textbooks from Chegg: If you didn't know, there is an alternative to buying books from the Nichols school store. There is a company called chegg, where you can rent books at ridiculously low prices, way cheaper than buying them through the school. And this way, you're renting, so for instance if you buy a book from the Nichols store, you aren't stuck with it forever.

Don't keep a car on campus: I don't have car on campus but I do know that it's something like $200 for a parking pass, which is ridiculous. Not only that, but you are going to find yourself constantly paying for gas, which could be $20 a week, which quickly adds up. Besides, you don't want to be used by other people just because you have a car.


Apply for scholarships: You can find a scholarship for just about anything these days. Although the 'easy scholarships' give small amounts, if you apply and get awarded from enough scholarships, you don't spend as much on your tuition. If you don't apply for scholarships, you're going to regret it 30 years from now when you're still living with your parents and trying to pay off student loans.




Hopefully some of these quick tips help you in the future!

2 comments:

  1. What an ironic article. I can'y imagine how you came up with this topic. I never viewed you as a money saver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a pretty interesting article Zach. I know that ever since I arrived on campus here at Nichols, I have spent a great deal of money. I believe the reason I spend so much money on food is that the dining hall does not serve the best meals so I am ordering takeout on a nightly basis. This money adds up fast especially once I burn through all of my bison bucks. Not only is eating out costing me a lot of money but it is also very unhealthy. In regards to the text books, I usually buy all of my books new. I like knowing that the book is in good condition and everything is there. Maybe one way I could save money would be to buy used text books for my non major classes. I like to keep the books pertaining to my major because I see myself referring back to them throughout my four years. Furthermore, because I am on the golf team I have to have my car on campus. Although, to save money on gas, I limit the amount of use it gets.

    ReplyDelete